Do you want to use your skills to make a difference? SWITCHengines is the Community Cloud for Research and Education in Switzerland. We offer cloud services to researchers, students, and lecturers in Switzerland based on open-source and cloud-native components.
In addition to our existing Community Cloud, we are also in the process of building a whole new SWITCH Cloud. An exciting project to build a completely new cloud environment of which you can be a part.
We believe in infrastructure as code, reliability, automation, agile mindset, and empowered engineers working with other SWITCH teams to develop the digital ecosystem for research and education.
We have created 3 new positions and are looking for new SWITCHies to join this team of 9.
Cloud/System Engineer (80-100% - all genders)
Your main tasks will be
- Operation and development of SWITCHengines and SWITCH Cloud
- Understanding and supporting our - really interesting! - external and internal users running their applications in our cloud
- Being part of delivering the future direction of SWITCH Cloud
- University degree in technical direction
- Professional experience in the Linux server environment and a networking background
- Combination or in-depth experience in one of the following domains:
- OpenStack (compute, block, object storage, and network)
- Kubernetes ecosystem (k8s, Flux CD, Helm, Kustomize)
- Distributed scalable storage (Ceph, Gluster, or equivalent)
- Datacentre and virtualized networking (SDN)
- We need people who
- can understand and rise to the challenges of operating large-scale infrastructure in a service provider setting
- are community oriented and can understand and support the needs of research and education
- can take initiative and drive things forward
- can respect and work well with their team and company colleagues
- want to make things better
- Fluent in English and ability to understand written German or French
What you should know about us
With around 150 employees, SWITCH supports universities, research institutions, and critical infrastructure organizations in Switzerland on their way to a secure and trustworthy digital age. With innovative IT services, secure infrastructures, expert advice, and the networking of relevant specialist communities, we help our customers effectively and efficiently use the opportunities offered by digitization.
- Lots of interesting responsibilities, with the chance to make an impact on growth with the work
- An environment that supports you in your career goals and offers development opportunities
- An informal working atmosphere and flexible working hours
- A workplace in the heart of Zurich, Lausanne, or from your home
Does that alone sound exciting? Then find out more about what it's like to work at SWITCH
and get an overview of the benefits